Search This Blog

Saturday, August 25, 2012

DON'T JUDGE ME!!!

This morning, the Lord saw it fit that I share wisdom from another saint. I am blessed because blogging is deceptively time intensive, and I have a full day ahead of me.
This is a repost from Brother E. Holloman:


God's Daily Holy Lesson Teaches Us:

Stop Condemning Each Other

Romans 14:10-19 So let’s stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall.

[Romans 14:13] Romans 14:13 uses a play on words that can’t be rendered in English. The verse reads, literally, “So, let us no longer judge each other. But judge this way instead: n

ot to put a stumbling block or offense in the way of a brother or sister.” This verse says, in effect, “Don’t judge this way; judge this way instead!”

The NLT rightly conveys the sense of the judgment we’re to avoid: “So let’s stop condemning each other.” Paul is not saying that we should blithely accept everything our fellow Christians say or think. There are times for discernment, as well as for admonishment and correction. But even when we disagree over crucial matters, we must avoid haughty condemnation. If our beliefs are true or our actions righteous, credit goes to God. In the context of Romans 14, however, Paul is focusing especially on issues that are not essential. When we differ with other believers over the nonessentials, we should avoid judging them.

How might Romans 14:13 play out in our context? I have witnessed or experienced condemnation among Christians over such matters as: whether one drinks alcohol or not; whom one prefers for President; whether one is “pro-life” or “pro-choice,” how one speaks of biblical authority; whether or not one is a Calvinist or a Wesleyan; what one believes about same-sex marriage in a civil context, how one thinks women should or should not minister in church, etc. Surely these are matters about which Christians will disagree. But we must make sure that our disagreements don’t morph into condemnation that keeps people from growing in their knowledge of and obedience to God’s truth.

QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION:
Have you ever experienced condemnation by other Christians? Over what issues? Do you tend to look down on, or even to judge, other Christians who disagree with you? Over what issues?

PRAYER:
Dear Lord, I must confess that I do look down on my fellow believers. You know the ones I’m talking about. Their views bother me. Their self-assured manner bothers me. The fact that they often look down on me because of my views bothers me. But being bothered is one thing. Condemning my fellow Christians is another. It is a sin. So I confess, Lord, that I have sinned in this way. Please forgive me. Moreover, give me a heart of acceptance for all of my Christian siblings. Such acceptance won’t mean that I affirm their beliefs if I think they are incorrect. And it won’t mean that I endorse behavior that is contrary to your Word. But I need to look upon people, even and especially those with whom I disagree, with grace and love. So help me, Lord, to “judge” to live in such a way that I do not put a stumbling block in the way of another because of my judgmentalism. Amen.


----------------------------------

There is a difference between judgement and discernment, although in order to judge, one needs discernment. The book of Judges reflects the children of Israelites' setting up of judges under Divine direction so that they could have their issues and disputes settled among themselves.
The phrase don't judge others means that we are not to self appoint ourselves with the Sovereign's holy attributes of judgment and decision making. Judging on the part of the human, is to be one interpretation and discernment. For instance, if I see a man walk into church drunk, wisdom and discernment, says, he has a problem. He needs help. We need some holy men to guide him. To say that he is definitely going to hell, crosses a line that is uniquely Christ's. He knows the full spectrum of one's life scenario and is supremely suited for judgement, and the execution of that judgement. This is why,  He struck down Uzzah on the spot for a split second decision he made to jump out and touch the Ark of the Covenant, and decided to spare David after what some would interpret as a much worse sin, because of the calculated nature of the adultery and murder of Bathsheba's husband. Uzzah's split second decision to reach out and stabilize the ark was an outward reflection of a lifetime of consistently refusing the Holy Spirit, resolute disobedience and disregard for the things of God.

So when it came time for obeying a direct command. No one touch the ark except for those God has appointed, it was second nature for him to disregard the command. David on the other hand had not used up all this mercy. The act with Bathsheba implicates a struggle he had with lust, that ultimately led him to commit adultery. Let me kill this woman's husband because it was wrong for me to lie with her. Let me make it so I will no longer be wrong.  (WITH ANOTHER WRONG?!?! smh) poor husband. He was so devoted to king David, that when he came back from battle, he slept outside his door, away from the wife so he would not have sex with her to reserve his own little army. How was he repaid? David sent him to the front of the battle where the fight was thick, heavy and hot. Poor guy didn't stand a chance. However, when Nathan the prophet showed him that he was wrong, look at what David did. He repented with sackcloth and ashes...a king in sackcloth and ashes... David didn't care. He was exceedingly sorrowful. We can infer from this that David was truly committed to Christ, but stumbled...he had a hiccup as opposed to a consistent blatant disregard for all things Holy. and since we do not have not been equipped with this uniquely Divine ability, we must yes, look at the fruits people bear in order to know how to deal with them, but reserve supreme judgement with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment