Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sabbath Special: All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name


   Just when you think you've got it down pat, something happens to undermine what you've planned for. This awakening can occur in many different forms. But know that it is God's will for you, although it may not seem that way at the moment. I've been praying about several things and asking god for guidance and just when I think he is leading, there is a curve ball. These happen to keep us in the faith, because believe me, My faith has been tested when I think about the plans I've laid and seen them come to a grinding halt due to things I had no control over, and for things I did. However, His strength is perfect when mine is gone. He has directed me in the small and in the great. 

   Children are precious. They are gifts from the Lord. Any investment in them can't be seen as too much, but often I wonder about Christian education, more notably, Adventist education. This is one of the things I mean when I say that God has been directing me in the small and in the great. My children are enrolled and to say it isn't easy is an understatement. This week I've recieved answers to some pressing questions. I mean, over time the question has popped up by those who wonder why I even have them in private school. They reason that they themselves turned out fine and my sisters and I turned out fine. This is because I am convinced that during my time, public education was different.
The only real thing that has changed in education, is the delivery of the instruction: Tailored learning experiences and learning aids for each child's unique learning need. What has also changed is this generation's tendency to sin. The demonic influences in the media and on society as a whole are overwhelming. Legislation has made it difficult for children who want to learn to actually learn and be safe. For instance, the law states that each child has a right to learn in a safe, nurturing environment, but what happens when unstable children are consistently & willfully permitted to stay within the classroom? What happens when these unruly kids leave the classroom and go into one of these detention halls, along with several other peers woven from the same fabric? What happens when learning can't occur in there? The discipline has also changed for the most art. In some parts of the south, there are principals who believe in corporal punishment, as stout believers in "spare the rod spoil the child" Others believe it's abuse and should never be done.  It is this division of morals, ethics and standards that makes it difficult for me to place my kids in public school before the age of 12 or 13. I also believe that you get what you pay for. Some schools have kids in attendance that are vile influences on your children, that even the teachers find difficult to work with, but you may not be told this. So for those Christian parents who have their kids in public school, check out the school carefully. Don't go to the school and ask questions first. Look at the statistics and performance. Look at the neighborhood it's in. Look at the demographics, and most of all look up the academic standards. THEN speak to the school and see if what's being said and what you see line up with what you've learned. Other than that, 1 + 1 will always be 2.

    I just want you all to know, that there is a healing in the song you hear playing. Don't doubt it, or be skeptical. Since I started project S.O.W. people's lives have been touched. Although some confuse the ministry with my "just trying something new" there is nothing new about my writing and singing. I've always wanted to do my own music. Ask any member from the Sounds of Inspiration, or my family members. Music & art have always been an integral part of my existence.
      I've spent years focusing mainly on one talent, art, when Christ as ased us clearly to utilize all our talents to the glorification of HIS name. I  reflect on the years of trying to work with producers, trying to get singers together, petitioning complete strangers to do ministry together, buying keyboards to get music lessons, only to have them stolen, purchasing equipment only to have them destroyed, relatives & friends not understanding my motives, attacks of the enemy and I wondered if those were signs that I wasn't supposed to do music. In time I grew to understand that God's will is perfect. He may want us to become something beautiful, and we may want it to happen all at once. Through all these obstacles I've learned that patience is only developed with time. And I believe I'm getting better at it!

     I was working on a project, and I can't even emphasize how disgusted I became because the applicaiton kept crashing. I lost all my edits regardless of how many different ways I saved the fie, sourced external files that were linked to the document, and checked and rechecked. I mean I've lost entire blog entries, Facebook has eaten my messages, videos have vanished, ...My computer is either old, has a virus, hates me or some combination, I'm certain. But I found myself able to endure the follishness without sinning. The Bible states, be angry but sin not. Why people believe anger is a form of weakness or a sign that God isn't with you must've missed the Flood, Tower of Babel, or the Second Coming memo. Anger is an emotion like any other emotion. It's what we do with it that dictates our walk with God.
    I received a phone call from someone who completely forgot an engagement they had committed to earlier in the week, and in the past, I had some choice words for them. Over time I noticed, I would keep those words to myself. One day I realized I didn't even think them! So when I got the call, I was annoyed, but I didn't sin inwardly. I can't thank God enough for that. It has taken time and patience to cultivate these traits. But these are things that must be desired. So the change really starts with you!


Have a great Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment